In the era of Digital computing organizations are able to compute, process, analyze and derive maximum value from both structured and unstructured data.However in the rush of gaining more insights, often Data Privacy concerns are being overlooked.More then 9 billion personal records have been stolen in last 5 years.Data breaches not only costs money but also keeps organisations reputation at stake.Data is core of any project and testing being the heart of SDLC, but Test Data Management has been given least importance.Research shows that Data Quality is the primary reason for overrunning project cost.Bad Data costs U.S. $ 3 Trillion per year.
Does these facts just appear like a mere figure to you ? Ask these questions to check whether your Project is need of TDM services.
These questions will serve as ready reckoner. Some thing similar to a thermometer, which will be able to help you know if there really is a need for investing in Test Data Management solutions/resources etc.
If your answer to these questions are Yes, give a Red. If you do not know the answer give a Yellow or Amber and if the answer is a NO give a green.
- Does Testers tend to spend more time on Data creation rather than testing the application?
- Does your Defect report has major chunk of defects classified as “Data Issue Defects”?
- Are you very often missing your testing deadlines due to delay in Test Data refresh activity?
- Does your Non-Production environments have huge volume of data and is hindering performance?
- Do you still have older Project release data which is no more required but still lying in the system and consuming space?
- Creation of Test Data consumes lot of time.Do you have a strategy in place to reuse already generated Test Data in your subsequent releases?
- Does your Non Production environments have untreated PII(Personal Identifiable Information) and PHI fields.
A sample temperature sheet is shown below.
It is extremely easy to find out your TDM need.
Test Data Management can be a one stop solution for all the above mentioned problems. TDM can help you in creating right sized and realistic data along with securing sensitive data thus helping your organization to be compliant to regulatory compliance like HIPPA,GDPR,SOX etc.
Agile Testing Alliance offers TDM Solutions including TDM Trainings and certifications.
Do let us know if you are interested in being a CP-TDM (Certified Professional – Test Data Management).
Write to ATAIndia@AgileTestingAlliance.org